1) The wood is salvaged from locally wind damaged trees or rescued from the firewood pile. The freshly cut logs are cut into blocks with a chainsaw.
2) The green wood blocks are then mounted onto a wood lathe and “rough” turned. This roughly shaped bowl is then left to dry for at least 6 months.
3) After drying, the piece is then turned into its final shape.
4) Next the wood is carefully sanded to perfection. It is first sanded with rough sanding paper then given a final sanding with very fine grit sanding paper. This gives the wood a velvety smooth finish.
5) The wood is then finished with a food grade product to protect the wood, making the finished product both decorative and functional.
6) The finish on all our wood products is food safe and durable, but should only be wiped clean with a damp cloth and dried immediately. It is best used for dry food ingredients only. Please do not put the wood items into a dishwasher, microwave oven or expose them to high heat.
For more information on how to care for your woodenware, visit the Wooden Bowl Maintenance page.